1. Finally got to see The Matrix Reloaded
. I wasn't disappointed, but then again I had been keeping my expectations modest after the rather lukewarm reviews. I didn't mind the lack of plot - who's watching Matrix for the plot? - but the action sequences, while spectacular, dragged on too long. It's as though the makers were trying to pump each set piece for all it was worth, but only ended up pumping it dry. The ending was also clumsily done - they should have cut it a few minutes earlier. You know, after *that* scene. It would have made an awesome ending. Instead, we got something that looked like it was supposed to be a suspenseful cliffhanger, but just wasn't. Well, I guess we'll have to see what November brings.
2. Went to Con*descending
on the long weekend. Had a lot of fun. Played one of the lords of Minas Tirith in the Middle-Earth freeform. Witnessed Eorl the Young, who in the histories is the founder of Rohan, decide to name his fledgling nation Eorlworld instead. Also played Jubilee in the X-Men freeform, which gave me an excuse to run around and be hyper. Got repeatedly hit on by Jean Grey, who was affected by Magneto's mind control. Or possibly not. And my team won a prize for one of the games we played! I've been going to RPG cons for years, but it's the first time I've won a prize. I usually skip out before prizegiving, once the last game ends. Maybe I should attend more often. Yeah, I know the game's the important thing, but still, I feel absurdly happy every time I see that shiny new trophy on my shelf.
3. I've started playing Ragnarok Online
, hooked by other addicts who shall not be named. Although I used to MUSH a fair bit back in uni, this is the first MMORPG I have joined. It is is cute and addictive and I suspect it will eat up a lot of hours if I let it. My archer has reached level 16 and has started exploring the world beyond his village. Right now, I'm trying to work out which are good places to level up and which are good places to get killed.
4. I haven't been slacking off completely. Part 5 of Ties of Blood is done and is now at betaing. Woohoo. To those who have been waiting patiently for the next part to show up: I'm sorry it's taken so long, and I hope to have it up soon.
5. I haven't been able to spend much time on Smallville lately, which feels weird. It's been my primary fandom for over a year now, and it bothers me to be falling out of the loop. I'm behind with everyone's LiveJournals, and it's been over a fortnight since I last checked the Smallville Slash Archive. I used to visit everyday. (Yes, I realise that sounds sad. Why do you ask?) The last time I read a TWoP recap was months ago, although that may change now that the bastards at Channel Nine have taken Smallville off the air again. They even advertised 'Lineage' as the season finale, which is a fucking lie. It's episode seven, you morons! *Seven*!
6. Finally picked up my own copy of the Spirited Away
DVD, after months of waiting for the official Australian release. If you haven't seen this movie yet, I cannot recommend it highly enough. It broke box office records in Japan when it was released, it won this year's Oscar for Best Animated Feature, and it has replaced My Neighbour Totoro
as my favourite ever Miyazaki movie. The thing I like best is the genuine sense of wonder it evokes. It's the kind of movie that makes you want to share it with everyone you know.